After watching a couple health-related documentaries, it’s time to read some current health articles that relate to the documentary topics.
Pick ONE of the following article links, read it, then create a new blog post analyzing the article, making sure you answer the list of questions. Your goal is to reflect on the information in the article in at least 150 words.
LIST OF POSSIBLE ARTICLES (READ ONE): (Please make sure you include the link to this article in your blog post)
Viewpoint: Are Doctors to Blame for Prescription-Drug Abuse?
LIST OF QUESTIONS TO ANSWER AS YOU ANALYZE THE ONE ARTICLE YOU READ:
- Summarize the main points of the article as well as their key supporting details. (What was the article stating?)
- Analyze the author’s purpose with an explanation. (Was the article meant to persuade, inform, entertain?)
- Synthesize how you connect to this article and its message? If you don’t connect to it, who do you believe is the intended audience for the article? Explain.
- Evaluate the impact this article may have on the lives of those who read it? Has the article impacted you? Did it make you believe something? Do you agree with its info? Please explain.
So far you have completed job shadowing, created a resume, cover letter, and reference list. Recently we conducted mock interviews in the classroom, where you were able to practice your interviewing skills. You had a chance to act like an employer who was interviewing others for a job and you were able to practice your own interview skills by pretending to be at a job interview and responding to questions. Now, it’s time to reflect on the process.
Please type a 200 word (or more) reflection on the mock interview process by answering the following questions. Feel free to Bullet Point each response or write as a one paragraph journal reflection.
- How did you feel while you interviewed a classmate? Do you believe that seeing an interview from the employer’s perspective makes you more prepared or not? Please explain.
- How did you feel while you were interviewed by a classmate? Did you feel anxious, nervous, scared, prepared, overwhelmed, confident, etc.? Please explain why you felt that way.
- How do you feel about your responses? Do you think your responses to the questions were adequate or do you feel you could have done better? What question did you find easy? What question did you find difficult to answer?
- What advice would you give someone who is participating in a mock interview or a real interview? What advice would you give yourself; in other words, how do you think you could improve for your real interview?
- Yes, I know these mock interviews weren’t real, so imagine how you would perform in the interview if it was real. What have you learned you need to do to be better prepared? How should you dress for an interview? How should you behave before, during, and after an interview? What should you bring with you to an interview?
- Evaluate the activity. Be honest. What do you think was good about this class activity? How do you think we could improve this activity for next time, next year? Do you believe this is a skill you do need or do not need in real life? Please explain.
- Take one of the 20 interview questions below and write a response that would be GOOD and one that would be BAD, then explain the difference with reasoning. It’s always good to practice job interview questions so that you become more and more comfortable.
Sample Interview Questions for High School Students
Prepare for Perfection!
Possible Interview Questions: Personal
- Tell me about yourself? What made you apply for this job?
- What clubs or organizations are you a member of?
- What have you learned from your hobbies, interests and outside activities?
- What qualifications do you have for this job?
- If I asked your teachers or your guidance counselor to describe you, what would they say?
Possible Interview Questions: Cooperation
- How do you feel about working with others and as part of a team?
- Describe a time when you worked with a team successfully? How do you handle team conflicts?
- Do you follow instructions easily? How do you work under pressure?
- When required, would you be willing to work overtime?
Possible Interview Questions: Self confidence
- What do you consider to be your greatest strengths, weaknesses or faults?
- How do you think a teacher who knows you well would describe you?
- Why do you think you are suitable for this position?
- Why should we consider you for this job instead of other applicants?
Possible Interview Questions: Motivation/initiative
- How did you prepare for this interview? What is important to you in a job?
- If you didn’t understand an instruction, what would you do?
- What motivates you to put forth your greatest effort?
- Describe your most rewarding experience in schoo
- Where would you like to be in 5 years?
- What are your long-range and short-range goals and objectives?
- When and why did you establish your goals, and how are you preparing yourself to achieve them?
*If you find any creative job interview images to add to this blog, please post them so that you can enhance your blog post and have more people visit and comment on your blog post.
Type a 200 word Blog Post about Current News. Peruse the news sites and read an article about something that interests you: sports, national news, local news, education, politics, entertainment, health, etc. After you read the news article, do the following in your blog post:
- Summarize your article and insert a link to the article. If there is an image that you could also share on your blog, please do so.
- Evaluate whether you believe the article is one sided (biased) or if it seems neutral and allows the reader to come to his/her own conclusion.
- Analyze what you found shocking, surprising, amazing, saddening, exciting, frustrating, etc. about the article. Share your personal thoughts.
- Ask your readers questions to get them thinking about the article’s topic
- Scan the article before you submit it to make sure it’s appropriate for all age levels (there are topics on the news that may not be appropriate for younger kids, so please refrain from those overly sensitive topics)
- (You can use any reputable NEWS site like:)
Periods 4 and 5/6 You need to complete the Senior Research Presentations Reflections.
Type a 200 word Blog Post reflecting on the presentations in the auditorium. Make sure you include the following information:
- You can choose to write a general reflection Or about each individual student presentation
- Summarize the presentation
- What was interesting in the presentation?
- What was confusing/uninteresting in the presentation?
- What do you think went well with the presentation? (Was the presenter loud, clear, engaging, etc.)
- What advice would you give the presenter?
PERIOD 4 PRESENTATION TOPICS in order:
- Danyale White – Child Abuse Awareness
- Payton Schudieri – Scientology As A Cult
- Emily Czyz – Conspiracy Theories on Area 51
- T Cook – What Are Millennials?
PERIOD 5 PRESENTATION TOPICS in order:
- Sabrina Lopez – Metaphysics
- Lisa Hicks – Spiritual Intervention of Suicide
- Mateo – Entrepreneurship in Business
Edublog Challenge 5 is on Family and Culture:
Directions: Write a post about your family and culture – include their interests, where you might have been together as a family. Remember to include grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles. Write about your ethnic or cultural backgrounds. Feel free to design or explain your family tree. Explain any of your family traditions, whether it’s for holidays or birthday celebrations. What makes your family so special or different from others? Does your family speak any other languages?
* Adding a photo or image of your family and/or images of places where your family has traveled to together on family vacations. You could also add images of your cultural flag or any traditional meals or other traditions.
1. Edublog Challenge Class List: http://studentchallenge.edublogs.org/march-2017-classes/
Link to OUR class Blog http://mrsmaslowski.edublogs.org/
2. Edublog Challenge 1 was to Create/Update your About Me Page. You should have done that a while ago. Edublog Challenge 2 is Commenting http://studentchallenge.edublogs.org/2017/03/12/week-2-learning-to-comment-well/
For this challenge, you need to create a video or a short blog about tips on commenting:
–Think about your use of social media (Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, etc) How should you respond to people publicly and how should you NOT respond to people publicly?
–Give some guidelines on what everyone needs to know about commenting on blogs or peer papers or social media, etc.
–Some examples could include:
-Top 10 Things you Should NEVER post on social media (make it serious or funny)
-Top 10 Things you Should understand before commenting on someone’s Social Media Post
(Here’s an example of a Very Good Blog Post on this topic: http://per2nick.edublogs.org/2017/04/04/edu-blog-challenge-2-comments/ )
3. Visit these blogs and leave comments on at least 3 student blog posts.